Channel 4 denies Married At First Sight UK 2026 has been 'axed' after Panorama exposes 'rape and sexual misconduct' claims

Its future is dependant on an investigation
Natasha Rigler

Channel 4 has denied that Married At First Sight 2026 has been axed.

Reports today claimed the broadcaster had canned the upcoming series in light of last night’s Panorama.

In the documentary, titled Panorama: The Dark Side of Married At First Sight, three former brides on the show spoke out.

Married At First Sight UK 2026 has reportedly been ‘axed’ (Credit: Channel 4)

2023 participant Shona Manderson alleged that her groom – Bradley ‘ Brad’  Skelly – had ‘sexually violated’ her.

Two other woman, whose identities have been kept hidden, told the BBC that they were ‘raped’ by their on-screen ‘husbands’.

One also claimed her groom had “threatened to throw acid” at her.

All three men have strenuously denied the allegations against them.

However, no decision has been made on the future of MAFS UK 2026.

Don't miss a single story! Add us as a Preferred Source in Google for all your television news

It's important to us that you never miss our articles when searching for stories! We have all the latest TV news & schedules to share with our community of loyal readers. Click here and tick TVGuide.co.uk to ensure you see stories from us first in Google Search.

Channel 4 denies Married At First Sight UK ‘axe’

The 2026 series of MAFS UK is due to air on E4 – owned by Channel 4 – this September. Filming had apparently wrapped last month.

All 10 previous series of MAFS UK have already been pulled from Channel 4’s streaming services.

But Channel 4 tells TVGuide: “No decision has been made on the broadcast of MAFS UK series 6.”

Panorama: The Dark Side of Married At First Sight aired on BBC One on Monday night. The documentary told the story of three brides who had appeared on the show.

Shona Manderson made an allegation about her on-screen husband Bradley.

Shona Manderson spoke out against MAFS UK in Panorama (Credit: BBC)

She claimed: “In bed [Bradley and I] were being intimate. Consensual, completely.

“We were having sex and a boundary was crossed completely. My partner came inside me without my consent.

“We had agreed we were pulling out. I was shocked, I was confused. We said that we weren’t doing that.”

Panorama spoke to Baroness Kennedy, Chair of Creative Industries Independent Standards Authority. She said Shona’s allegation could amount to “sexual violation”.

Bradley issued a statement to the BBC, saying via his lawyers that he “categorically denies any allegations of sexual misconduct or that he was controlling”.

The two other women features had their identities obscured. They both claimed they were ‘raped’ by their show husbands during their time in the experiment. Their grooms, also unidentified, denied this.

MAFS UK under external investigation

Last night, Priya Dogra, Chief Executive of Channel 4, confirmed that an external investigation into the welfare procedures on the show is under way. It was instructed in April, with Ms Dogra due to receive the findings in the coming months.

Channel 4 also told Panorama that all the allegations made in the documentary are “wholly uncorroborated and disputed”.

It also insisted that all three women at the centre of the claims gave “repeated assurances they felt safe, happy and wanted to continue in the process”.

Panorama married at first sight bride and groom
Panorama exposed two allegations of ‘rape’ from MAFS UK brides (Credit: BBC)

The show’s production company, CPL said it “followed their welfare protocols and took concerns seriously”. The company added in a statement: “CPL’s welfare system is gold standard and industry leading.”

Meanwhile, Minister of State for Security, Dan Jarvis, has today said it is “highly likely” that a police investigation into the allegations could be launched.

He said: “I think it’s highly likely that there will be a referral to the police and it will be a police matter for them to investigate.”

Channel 4 tells TVGuide the outcome of the external investigation will determine whether MAFS UK series 6 will go ahead.

Read more: MAFS USA shocks fans with huge unexpected twist as Jalyn’s mum Belynda is also getting married on the show